Search

Monday

3 Ways You Can Improve Your Marketing Content

As I sit here, I'm struggling to come up with an idea on what to write about. Writers block sits in and countless hours go by where I'm just looking through articles to come up with new ideas. Then it hit me, why not write about not knowing what to write about.

I'm sure many bloggers have an issue with this especially if they are trying to come up with new content on a daily bases. Luckily for me, I only post a blog once a week so this allows me more time to provide quality marketing content.

Here are some good tips on how to get over your slump and come up with something to write about.

1. Read Articles About Your Niche

You didn't think you were the only person writing about your niche did you? You have two things in common with other bloggers, 1) Trouble coming up with new topics to write about and 2) Your topics are similar and directed towards the same audience. Think of it as scanning the environment for the competition and taking their strengths and applying it to your weakness. This is nothing new and some of the top organizations keep an eye on their competition so that they are able to remain competitive or ahead of their market.

Another advantage of spying on the competition is that you can see what they aren't writing about. Information that should be shared or keywords that aren't being utilized can be tracked and used in your content marketing effort. Sometimes it's best to let others do some of the leg work and provide you with topics that are beneficial in your niche.

The rewards are quality marketing content that helps implement a powerful SEO approach.

2. Keep Track of FAQs

One of the things that I find extremely useful in creating new marketing content is listening to what you, the reader has to say. By keeping track of questions or comments that readers post, you can later use this as insight to new articles. For example this past week a reader asked me a question in an article I wrote concerning Philanthropy & Social Responsibility.

Her question, "How do you feel about companies who do this at the expense of their company image (speaking of philanthropy).. Example. Chic Fil-A donates to 10 anti gay associations". When I read this I thought, wow, what a powerful question. This question brought all sorts of ideas to mind. Can philanthropy change a brand's image? Will customer's remain brand loyal to a company that goes against their own religious beliefs? All these questions can lead to quality marketing content for your blog posts. What do you know, maybe I'll have a post next week about how philanthropy is killing brand loyalty. Thanks Grace.

3. Conduct Interview's & Research

Now, you may be thinking where am I going to get the time to conduct interview's? I know that a lot of us are pressed for time and we think we do not have time to conduct the necessary research it takes to provide quality marketing content. The fact of the matter is, you need to make the time.

When I say interview, I don't mean that you need to schedule appointment with marketing directors or CEO's or anything like that. By simply speaking with other's in your profession, you can get a grasp on other marketing minds and the their views on important topics. An interview doesn't have to be formal, the most important thing is that you are open to new ideas and information so that you may implement them in your blog.

Ask your readers questions, make your blog engaging and user friendly. One thing that I am currently doing is sending out emails to individuals that have been active readers of my blog. I have thanked them for reading and I encourage them to participate in any way that they can. Sometimes I receive emails thanking me for my emails in which they write an informal testimonial. Not only did I touch base with my reader but I got quality content that can be used on my blog or my company website.

I strongly recommend you use one if not all of these suggestions when writing marketing content for your blog or business. Reading articles about your niche, keeping track of FAQs, and conducting interviews & research are a great way to build quality content that readers will enjoy.

2 comments:

tricia said...

Great post- I think some companies are probably aware of who they might be alienating with their philanthropic efforts ....Because CFA is so grounded in its religious tenets, I think it's inevitable that money will be channeled toward organizations viewed as less tolerant simply because religion is a factor at all. (I love CFA, by the way- and hadn't ever thought about this question at all) Aside from CFA, we see the same phenomenon in things like politics- that's why we follow the money behind a candidate's campaign trail.

Unknown said...

Very interesting views. Thanks for your comments, gives me more to think about.